Most of our adult faith programs include Jesus’ “great commission”: to go out and spread His good news, to serve others. Fulfilling this commission can put us on the path to becoming apostles. But how do we do that? Our “Mission Focus” efforts provide us with 8-week modules that help us to understand issues that face our world and, more importantly, help us to see what we can do about them. In other words, they teach us to spread Jesus’ message of love and service.
Upcoming Studies: virtual groups are forming now!
The issue of race in America has escalated over the past few weeks … and we have heard many appeals to better understand the situation, the role each of us plays in it, and what we can do.
At St. Joan, we’re taking a first step toward doing that by introducing the first of three 8-week studies from JustFaith called Faith and Racial Equity: Exploring Power and Privilege.
This study is designed for those of us who are willing to:
- Wrestle with hard questions
- Take an honest look at our own attitudes, assumptions, and choices
Through spiritual grounding and community-building, we will find support and belonging throughout our journey to personal transformation and social action.
This study will:
- Awaken us to aspects of our world that empower some … and oppress others:
- Economic systems
- Public policies
- Cultural norms
- Hidden biases
- Introduce a framework for understanding and recognizing racial disparities in power and privilege
- Take a deep dive into specific issues related to power and privilege, including:
- Affirmative action
- School-to-prison pipeline
- The criminal justice system
- Powerful biases in media representation
- Explore how our faith should inform our response to their learning as well as action steps for working toward racial equity in our own communities
Note that the date of our Opening Retreat has changed: The study will begin with a virtual retreat on Sunday, July 26 from 1:30 pm to 5 pm.
Study groups will meet weekly for eight weeks thereafter and are available on Tuesday mornings, Wednesday evenings, Thursday mornings and evenings and Saturday mornings. Get a copy of our study schedule here.
Sign up here. Space is limited.
If you can be a facilitator or can host a zoom call for a facilitator, let us know ASAP. For more information, contact Rosemarie McKenney.