Guidelines for Altar Servers can be found on the USCCB Committee on Divine Worship http://www.usccb.org/prayer-and-worship/the-mass/frequently-asked-questions/guidelines-for-altar-servers.cfm
ABOUT ALTAR SERVERS
The primary role of the altar server is to assist the priest in the celebration of the liturgy. This is done through specific actions and by setting an example to the congregation by active participation in the liturgy (hymns, responses, etc.), by looking alert and sitting or standing at the appropriate times.
Altar servers must attend every Mass that they have been scheduled. When a server cannot be present they must arrange for a trained replacement.
1. Act as sacristan before and after that day’s Mass
2. Greet people as they enter before Mass
3. Process in with the priest
4. Sit on the altar with a respectful posture
5. Hold the Sacramentary (book) for the presider
6. Present the bread, wine, and water to the priest during the preparation of the gifts
7. Assist the presider in the ceremonial washing of his hands
8. Assist the presider and deacon as requested
9. With the congregation:
a. Respond to the prayers and dialogues of the priest
b. Join in singing the hymns